Friday, September 11, 2015

Resist Apathy

One week ago today, we launched CAFO of the Midlands as a local movement of Christians from the Midlands collaborating on behalf of South Carolina children in foster care and orphans globally. A group of seven believers met in a coffee shop early in the morning and prayed with power and conviction for God himself to work a miracle in our broken foster care system. I was energized by the enthusiasm and determination of the others in that prayer circle. I was filled with hope and convinced that the Lord was moving in a mighty way.

And then I went back to the office, to the daily grind, to the complaints and frustrations of a red tape system that seems to hinder the well-being of those it is meant to protect. I found myself neck deep in the complications of scheduling inspections, arranging trainings, and filing seemingly redundant paperwork. I found myself griping and groaning and wanting to give up. I actually threatened to flush my own head in the toilet out of sheer exasperation. The forecast for the future of foster care seemed utterly hopeless.

Oh, how small is my faith? Jesus said in John 14:12-14,Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

So then, I must choose to resist the apathy that is threatening to extinguish my flickering belief in the power of prayer. I must hold fast to the promise that Jesus will do miracles through me as I pray in line with his will.

To learn more about the mission of CAFO visit www.facebook.com/CAFOoftheMidlands and www.christianalliancefororphans.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment